Sunday, August 28, 2011

Where Are We?

Yesterday, my family decided to take a 45 minute drive to Enterprise for the Corn Festival they have every year. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be as much fun as my parents thought it would be.
I was right.

When we get there, we get yelled at by hillbillies about bringing our dog to the park. Then we bring my dog to the park, and the first thing he does is poop. My dad forgot to bring baggies, so we searched the place for any trash we could use to pick it up. We founds something, and after my dad picked it up, we realized there weren't any trash cans near by. So my dad had to put it in the porta-potty. This should 've been our first sign that the day wasn't going as planned.

We decide to bail, and get lunch as this really awesome burger place called Marv's. My mom and I went inside to buy the food, and were told there was a 45 minute wait for takeout. So we left, and decided to buy chips and drinks and stuff at a connivance store down the road. This was our second sign to turn around, and just go home.

Then we went to the lake. I hate the lake, so I sat in the car most of the time and caught up on my reading assignment for English. There was a bee outside that kept bugging my sister and Mom. I decided to go outside and bug them, because my sister and I had gotten in a fight earlier that day. I turned my iPod up full blast and started singing Kleptomaniac by Joe Jonas at the top of my lungs. Then, I went back in the car. Five minutes later, my mom screamed an ran in the car. The bee stung her in  the hand. This was her first bee sting by a live bee. That was our third and final warning, but again we ignored it.

"Let's take the back way home." My dad suggested. We all liked that idea. My dad knew the area pretty well, and we figured he could take us home okay. We were wrong. We drove around all day. We were hopelessly lost. Then, a small cloud came out of nowhere, and it started pouring rain. We has to pull over because it was so muddy we woud've gotten stuck. Then it started to hail, and my parents were getting scared. We were lost. It was pouring rain, and it was going to get dark in three hours.

We had seen tracks on a road a couple miles before, and we decided they must've been ours, so after the rain stopped, we started following the tracks, and we ran into Eugene. "You lost too?" He asked.

"Yeah. We were thinking this was the way back to Enterprise, so that's where we're headed." My dad replied.

"Oh no!" Eugene's wife said quickly. "That leads to a cliff with three cows on the end, and six feet of water underneath."

Our jaws dropped. Where the heck were we!?

Eugene seemed to know where we were, and he said we could follow him. He lead us into Slaughter Creek, and onto the main road. We were safe! Seven hours after leaving the lake, we were safe. It was so strange. If we hadn't have found Eugene, who knows how long we could've been out there.

I'm not a very religious person, despite the fact that I live in Utah. I was so freaked out about the prospect of spending the night in the car in the middle of no where, eating juice boxes and potato chips for dinner that I prayed. That's very out of character for me. I just prayed for us to be guided home safely, and about 15 minutes later we ran into Eugene. That was the first time in my life I've prayed, and gotten an immediate answer.

So that was my crazy adventure to the Corn Festival. And the biggest bummer, WE DIDN'T EVEN BUY ANY CORN!

-Zo

No comments:

Post a Comment