Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Help

Alright, so I just read another amazing book, so I thought I'd talk about it.

It's called The Help and it's by Kathryn Stockett. It's a really amazing book about two black maids, and a white girl in 1962 Mississippi. It's really insane just how awful people will treat others because they're different. Whether it's because they're black, gay, or just a little strange it still doesn't make it right. That's the whole moral of the book really.


I loved all three of the characters! Minny was hilarious, sassy, and almost everything she said either made me want to laugh or want to cry. The way she thought of her boss, Miss Ceilia made me crack up. The horrible way her husnad treated her made me want to cry, and the "Terrible Awful" thing she did to Hilly made me want to think twice before eating chocolate pie for the rest of my life!

Aibileen seemed like the kind of person I would love to be with. She cares so much about the kids she tends too, and I loved her. The was she always told Mae Mobley (Yeah, that's  the name of the baby she takes care of) "You is kind.You is smart. You important." Made me want to cry! She was so brave, and so kind.

Then there's Skeeter. She was my favorite character. She was the white girl who decided to write a book about the "help" and their experiences. I really liked her because I could relate to her. I have friends that don't always seem like they're 100% my friends. I want to be a writer. I feel criticized and alone a lot of the time. I see the wrong in other peoples ways that they may not catch. I AM Skeeter Phelan in a lot of ways.

All in all, it was a really great book! I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Make sure you read it before the movie comes out this summer!

-Zo

No comments:

Post a Comment