Thursday, June 2, 2011

All To Home

Time for a book review! I haven't done one of those in awhile! I just read a really, really great book called Waiting For Normal by Leslie Conner.

The books' about 12 year old Addie, who live in a trailer with her careless mother, who she calls, Mommers. Mommers just got a divorce from Addie's very nice and caring step dad, Dwight. Addie misses Dwight and her two half sisters. Brynna and Katie. Mommers is NOT a good parent. She leaves home for days at a time on "business trips" The book never says what she's doing, but I have a pretty good idea.

Addie's very optimistic, and sweet. She always thinks about the first time Mommers left when she and Dwight had first gotten divorced.  She was nine, and was alone alone with four year old Brynna, and one year old Katie for THREE days. She called Dwight, not sure what to do, and ever since he little sisters aren't allowed to come visit very often. She thinks she did something wrong because she doesn't get to see her sisters anymore. She doesn't know what a good, brave thing she did.

That hit close to home. I wasn't like, abandoned like Addie was, but I did have an incident as a child when I didn't know what to do, and calling and asking for help changed things dramatically. I don't like to talk about it. Only people really close to me know that story. I only tell it to people I trust. Unfortunately, I trusted someone with that story a year ago, and they didn't react in a good way. I'm even more careful now.

It all ends up okay though. Addie ends up living with Dwight and her sisters, while Mommers ends up in jail, pregnant and alone. I feel bad for Mommers, but then I don't. She brought everything on herself. The worst part is, she didn't know she was doing anything wrong.

All in all, it's a really great book. I highly recommend it! Thanks for reading, and leave a comment below! Tell me what you think!

-Zo

No comments:

Post a Comment